Friday, February 24, 2012

The "A" Day

Today was awesome! Not only did the weather warm up into the 70s again, we rode our bikes ALL day again, we stopped again for pastries, but I had that no chain type of day as well. 

So the entire day started out with a bit of excitement though!  Still not sure what exactly was going on, but every morning I walk from the house down to Fairfax for coffee.  Takes about 45 minutes round trip but it gives bossman the time to wake up some before dealing with me doing mach 2 in the morning.  Anyway, on my way back this morning the San Jose SWAT team was raiding a house not a block down the road.  I must admit I was a bit nervous to walk by armed only with 2 lattes while everyone else was packing heat and wearing a bullet proof vest!  I need to surf the news some to see if I can figure out what was happening!

The other excitement of the morning was trying to finish bossman's bike up.  Earlier in the week he broke a shift lever return spring and bought a new set while his old set was being warrantied.  I will admit that I do not have a lot of experience with Campy, but this one took us for a ride.  We could not get the shift cable to route through the lever, it is supposed to feed straight up but it hit the lever body every time we tried. After a couple hours of cussing at it in Italian and using the "Poke and Hope" method we finally got lucky!  Good thing cause with the weather I was not interested in heading back to the bike shop to waste the morning. 

So now onto the ride!  Today we did the tried and true Marshall Loop, which is the same loop that Phillips, Bossman, and I beat the hell out of each other on last year till I finally called uncle.  This year no Phillips so bossman was in for some pacing.  The conditions were perfect for that with a nice tailwind, which meant the Bovine Bakery stop would come sooner!  Yum!  Here is a shot before the 50 mph plunge into Marshall.  Was working on my Tarmac ad:


So after a refill at the bakery, chocolate croissant to be exact, we were off again! We rolled south on 1 with the tailwind still puching us along.  We hit Bo-Fax road and decided to continue into Stinson Beach so that we could come down the Sisters and into Farifax.  This means we can skip the town riding which I am not a huge fan of.  We maybe shoul dof turned cause that stretch had bossman get stung by a bee and then some DB in an AT&T service truck try running us over?  It is always the smart ones, who has the idea of trying ot hit people in their company branded vehicle.  We caught him in Stinson and decided not to ruin the ride by arguing with someone with an IQ of less than the fence post in the above photo!

We rolled up Mt Tam again at a nice tempo pace and met up at the Rock Springs parking at the top, here is a view of the city on the way up:



We then rolled down the sisters were we met up with Wile E Coyote:


By the end of the day we were both pretty tanked and just rolled into the Fairfix for our Espresso Milk Shake fix.  All in all was 5 hrs in the saddle, 75 miles, 3200KJ, and 7000ft of climbing.  Here is a shot of our route: 







1 comment:

Mike said...

If I had to fight every shitty driver down here I could be in the UFC!