Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Not all about fat!

So there seems to be a 2nd 29er revolution starting and it has to do with the fat bike.  It seems as everyone has given up this opportunity to ride a normal bike and learn some bike handling skills out in the snow.  Don't get me wrong, I am sure they are fun to ride, just like mopeds and other things till your friends see you, and if you are a sport rider just looking to maintain some cardio through the winter they will work fine for you.  As a training tool, I'm not buying it.  I honestly thought I was cheating myself when I changed from a road bike all year round to a studded tire cross bike, but that now seems to be the bike I grab.  It works just fine in the snow and I am able to mount the power tap up to it, train, not go bow legged from a 140mm stance, and not have one more bike to maintain.  If Q factor doesn't matter then why does egg beater and speedplay make different axle lengths. So sorry Simonson, I will not be at Cohutta on that 19 lb fat bike you dreamed about. 

So onto some training.  It seems as things have ramped into full speed ahead with the the end goal of raising the bar going into the season, as it is every year.  Lots of new plans in the works and some extra volume should help.  The group of Sarah, Mark, Michelle, and I keep hitting the weights hard as well with Gabe to make sure come Sunday afternoon and a week of training the remote seems like a heavy object to lift.

Also on the training front, two camps are in the works. One for another trip to Cali in February with bossman to drag him around Mt Tam and Mt Diablo. We did this last year and it was such a blast. We have also completed plans for a team plus a couple extras camp in Prescott in March.  This one will be for the MTB and will be our first MTB camp.  Super excited about this.

Till then it seems as my anti fat bike riding will continue on the winter Wisco roads.  Here are a few random shots:

Riding in the storm last week

Forgot, you are not supposed to be able to ride this without a fat bike.

Blazed a lot of tracks that day on the cross bike in 4 inches of snow.

Krayer's get y'er guns!  Time to get some dinner!

My training weapon, minus the bar mitts which I swear by! Carbon and TI bolts = no rust!

Yeah, 5 degree wind chill and snow! That is ice on my nose and my glasses are frozen to my eye brows! So when is the Cali trip again!!! 

8 comments:

Mike said...

Imagine what you could ride with a TWENTY NINER fat bike :)

mdcmoto said...

Nice write up Popeye! Your legs look bowed already. Ha ha

Chris said...

No kidding! I bet you would never have to pedal!

Scott said...

4 inches isn't real snow... LOL!

Ben Lasecki said...

Carbon and Ti Oh my! You outta know by now us 'sport' riders aren't worthy of such spiffy componentry. Instead we resort to a 40lb steel machine. We 'sport' riders are so slow that it gives spectators plenty of time to admire how bow legged we are! Hey listen I gotta go, time to practice my 140mm stance.

Chris said...

Oh muffins!

Ben Lasecki said...

Muffins, where? I like muffins :-)

Darrin & Lynn said...

ooooohhhhhh more fat bike talk. Next thing you know you will be racing on 29er... Ummmmmm Wait. I will talk to Scott about getting you on a Pugsly. :)