Monday, September 17, 2012

RRrrrrrrrr!

That almost went as planned.  This last weekend was the Marathon National Championships for me and my goal was to crack the top 15, but missed that due to a slit sidewall.  Bummer!

The low down:

I was a bit worried about my form going into the morning and the fact that my legs were still tight from the weekend priors Fools Gold 100.  Either way the gun had to go off and when it did, it hurt.  The first small climb out of Wanoga had my legs feeling maxed even though my HR was only in the low 160's?  That usually shows a long, hard day is in store, but after we made it to the first road section, I looked back and I was the last guy in the lead group?  Not sure how it happened but it boosted my motivation.  We rode along pretty easy for the first couple miles then the pace picked up and I had to make the decision to just ride my own race. 

So after the climb up and over Vista Butte and the fun descent into Swampy aid station I found myself in 13th spot???  This is where the fun began.  There was a fun section of trail that brought us over to Swede Ridge then it was the next 20 minutes of climbing Flagline.  I set my pace just below LT up flagline knowing that the little rises along the trail would have me over my LT and I did not want to blow going up this clmb!  This worked well and by the time I hit the top I was in 11th spot?? 

The downhill going into the Dutchman aid station was a hard one for me and I rode it like it was my first day on a bike.  So in a 2 mile stretch I lost 3 spots and came into Dutchman in 14th spot.  I am so glad Phillips was not around, I might of never heard the end of a downhill performance like that:) 

I got caught by 2 more going down the road section before the entrance of Dinah Moe Humm.  We lost one climbing up and over Kiwa Butte and then I lost the 2nd before entering into the last aid at Wanoga where I was riding in 14th spot with 10 miles to go.  I knew the next rail sections really well and had a good gap on anyone chasing so I rode conservatively down Tiddlywinks to save everything for the last climb up Funner.  I rounded the corner and started the climb up funner and settled into a good pace to see if anyone was catchable.  then on the 2nd rock section my race came apart.  I had 3 miles to go and here I was setting with about a 2 inch gash in the sidewall of my rear tire.  I started to fix it and ended up putting 2 Gu wrappers into it to cover the hole, but by the time I had everything fixed a group of 4 or 5 rideers went by.  I got on the trail about 60seconds behind them so I put the hammer down to see if I could catch them.  That never happened and I actaully blew myself up with about a mile to go and could barely get my spent carcass to the finish line.  My tire:


My first flat of the year in a race and it had to happen at Nationals when I was having one of my best races.  Yeah it was a pretty big let down and it required a couple of these to improve my mood:


So what is next??  I am not really sure.  I feel like I am done training for the year and will probably just ride out the last 2 WORS races.  I have not been back on the bike yet since Saturday so maybe a good ride will change my mindset??  If there is a chance at that, todays ride will do that cause Michelle and I are planning to take the shuttle to Lava Lake and ride all the way back into town, something like 30 miles and almost all downhill!!  Can't wait! 

In the menatime, nice work to the team at Chequamegon, Mike P, 4th overall.  Myles 4th overall Short.  Scott 38th overall, 2nd age.  Mark had his best time ever as well, and new comer Bryan finished in a time of 2:24.  Nice work everyone!

No comments: