Monday, September 10, 2012

Disposed hay bails?

So Fools Gold was this past weekend and it marks my first overall finish in the NUE series.  I have no clue were that overall is and it will probably take another couple months before I know.  It is not the most organized run series out there, but luckily there are races within the series where the race directors are on top of things which makes for a fun time.  This is one thing that we are spoiled with in Wisconsin with the WORS scene.

Anyway this past weekend went all right, minus what I am blaming on the ingesting of some horse left over on one of my bottles.  I felt fine and actually was in the main group.  I did fall off the group right after this crazy downhill that dumped right into the first section of single track.  This basically caused the splits.  I did chase back on with Christian on the next ascent but it was only in time for the next tech, steep climb that put me over the edge and off the back.  I rolled into aid 2 in around 6th spot and only down a minute or so.  Then when climbing out of aid 2 I started to have some crazy stomach things start and the next thing I know I'm off the side of trail emptying my stomach.  In a normal race I would of pulled the plug, but in a 100 miler you are so far out that the fastest way out of the woods is to always just ride.  So I did and by the time I found the bail out point I was almost 50 miles in and starting to feel a bit better.  I started getting back some spots and riding well then I found RK at our 2nd time past aid 2 at about mile 60.  I rolled in just as he was about to pull out but he decided to wait even though my intentions were to have a picnic there.  We rolled out together and he kept me going for the next 10 miles or so as the cramps started.  After a couple handfuls of endurolytes, 4 or 5 oatmeal creampies, and some water I finally started feeling good again at about mile 75 which is also when the rain started.  Either way RK and I rode together till the finish and kept the pace good enough for 10th and 11th.

So with the NUE done, next up is a flight from Atlanta today to the other side of the the country, Bend for the US Marathon National Championships.  I am really excited to be back in Bend for some good racing and I am excited for the course cause even though I have raced here 3 times, two of them being 100 milers, there is still a trail in there that I have never ridden.  The other plus will be the return of some good coffee, Georgians idea of coffee is Folgers with flavoring.  Not cutting it for me.

No comments: