Tuesday, March 27, 2012

No pedals needed

So week one of AZ camp is in the books and I have gotten used to the new bike.  I must say though, despite the 29er Kool Aid that has been passed out through out the cycling community I must say I do not notice a huge difference.  I think on a plus note the bike rides really well over technical accents which I really like!  On a negative though, I really notice the weight difference.  Hopefully this changes once I get my normal Roval Carbon Race wheels, race tires, and scrub rotors onto the bike.  This is probably good for at least a pound off the bike and should get it near the 21 pound range and only a pound heavier than its 26er "red" headed step sister.  Anyway, I feel good on the bike and really excited for the start of the season.  I know it is still a few weeks off, but my number say I am ready!  Lets hope?? 

So speaking of numbers, here is last week:

28.5 hrs
267 MTB Miles
14854 kjs

I am not real confident on the Mtb KJs though.  It seems really hard trying to get the numbers, especially when riding more technical courses.  Hard to overcome the zeros that get averaged in, but it is also hard to get any fatigue count on all the acceleration you make too.  Either way it is training and I am getting pretty comfortable on the MTB which was the plan. 

So the rides.  It seems like the Black Canyon Trail has become our go to.  Nice route and lets everyone ride their own pace with the out and back format.  It also eats tires though which we found out and has required the use of some duct tape to get home a couple times.  Sedona has also been a destination and I think we all enjoyed it.  Mark worked really hard to make all the hills seem smaller by crushing them with his fingers:



Not sure that really worked that well.  We also had Timster join us all week as he showed us his hidden skills!  Not sure how he made all the climbs he did with platform pedals!!  We even let RK guide us around Sedona!!


In the end it worked out though cause we did find the car. 

So now with everyone back home in Wisco, Michelle was stuck riding with me today. I had lots of fun, but I always get over zealous on my route planning.  Today was fun though as we explored the trails around Prescott now that the snow has melted.  We ended up with another 5 hrs of ride time and 6000ft of climbing.  The climbing was topped off though with a nice rip home of the 396 trail.  Sweet!!

Now we have a couple more days of riding then it is time to start working our way home! Bummer! 

No comments: