Monday, June 21, 2010

Smiles ear to ear!

What an awesome race course!!  This past weekend the crew containing Michelle, TSP, Di, Jon, and Lisa, went to the UP, eh!  The chaindrive was the race and I must say the course was a blast!!  Tons of singletrack that kept you on your toes the entire time.  The race start was a nice roll out since there was a head wind on the way out and Brian, Mike, and I were all just busy chit chatting to keep an eye on each other.  After the 3 mile lead out, I decided I didn't like my position going into the KOM before the singletrack so I went around everyone on the side of the road and hammered in to the hill.  My mistake was I set up to lel Mike, and Brian to get on only to get destroyed up the hill!  Ooops!!  Eitherway I got back on the lead group containing Brian, Mike, and Chad and we flowed through the singletrack smiling ear to ear!  Unfortunately I woke up with a fever and sore throat so I was struggling with a really high HR and just not feeling the best.  I was still riding OK and it did not change the outcome of the race at all.  My biggest mistake came about 15 miles into the race when I went to move my water bottle from my jersey pocket into my bottle cage.  I fell off the group about 10 seconds, but did not panic.  I ended up chasing and took a risk in one corener and went over the bars.  I bounced right back up but could not get my chain out of between the frame and small ring.  Either way once I got back going all I heard from every check point was 1 minute.  I was not closing and they were not getting further away.  Kind of sucked cause i rode the rest of the race by myself.  In the end I finished 4th overall.  I guess Brian and Mike sprinted it out for the win with Brian taking it cause he had more knobs on his front tire, guess it was that close!!  Todd came in 7th overall so two of us in the top 10!

For the women, Di came in for 2nd overall and Michelle rounded off the last podium spot for 3rd.  Lisa also took here age group win in her 2nd  MTB race ever in the 16 mile race!  Nice work girls!!

We then finished off the weekend with some riding of the Tech trails were I learned how to MTB!  Cannot believe how sweet those trails are.  They are even well marked.  Whoever is doing the work up there definetely has it figured out and I recommend a trip up there to ride!!! 

Speaking of trips, everyone in the midwest had better represent this weekend at the Subaru Cup!!  We have a PROXct race coming to town and after all the grumblings I heard post Alpine Valley not coming back I expect to see you there!  So get out and race the big dogs coming to town.  It is not often that you get the oppurtunity and they are fast!!  Not to mention the course is one of the better WORS courses.  I will give more info on the course later in the week, I think Michelle and I are going to go scope it out on Tuesday. 

No comments: