Monday, April 20, 2009

The "blackened" otter

Well another Sea Otter in the books. This year was incredibly different than those in the past with the temps soaring past the 90 degree mark!! For this reason they shortened the race to 30 miles versus the typical 38 mile slug fest that we are all used to.

Also the field was different. Over 150 riders took the start on Sunday with Christoph Sauser lining up with us in the World Champ colors! Also in attendance was the South African National Champ Burry Stander, and the other fast guys that typically show to race the ProXCT! With all this horsepower it was sure to be a fast race so I made up my mind that I was going to race out of my norm and race Mike P style, go till you blow then try to maintain! This seemed to work out well as I followed Ryan Trebon around the field on the right and found myself riding only 15 spots or so behind the leader! I maintained the pace as long as I could and then started to falter due to the heat and lack of water. Luckily we had some awesome support out there with Jake Richards giving bottle feeds out on the track even after racing earlier in the day himself. Michelle also made the trek to the backside of the course to make sure we were staying hydrated!

After all the dust settled, the Adveture 212/Specialized team came out looking good, especially since Le Hoover and I finally got some sun on the pasty legs. Also cause the results were there, 22nd for TJ, 31st for me, and 33rd for Le Hoover! Sweet! Everyone was excited with the way their Specialized bikes performed even though Le Hoover and TJ spent the entire weekend drooling over the new carbon 29er!!

Next on the agenda is a flight home, one day at home, then Le Hoover and I are headed off to the Cahutta 100 for a nice Bonk race!

No comments: