Tuesday, October 4, 2011

One Lump or two

So this past weekend Michelle felt like riding her bike and talked me into travelling to Levis with her to race the final WEMS race.  We ended up deciding on the 50 mile race since the last time I did the 100 there I got so bored doing laps that I pulled the plug and went home!  With the rain finally ending and the forecast calling for sun and upper 50's I said I was in. 

My parents were also in town so it gave them a chance to see me race, not that watching bike racing is exciting by any means! 

So I toed the line, or the spot that we all decided was good enough for the LeMans start and the gun went off.  It was nice that no one wanted to run to their bikes so it was a nice moderate jog and we were off.  I took the hole shot into the first singletrack section and just got into a good rhythm.  That is until I missed the first bridge completely and was half way out in the swamp!  Oops!  Luckily I was close enough to put my foot down on the bridge and pull the bike back on. From here on it was pretty smooth sailing for lap one. 

Then on lap 2, you think I would learn, but I missed the bridge again!  Oh yeah and again on the 3rd lap as well.  At least I was consistent!  So the rest of the race went well except for deciding to throw myself on the ground, hitting a tree, then another, then on the ground again, but at least I made the bridge on the 4th lap!!  Either way I added to the bruise count after the mud race at Bear Paw and shook the bike out after it got new brake pads, front chainring, chain, derailleur pulleys, and completely overhauled!  I ended up coming across the line and was ready to be done.  That course beats you up and it is hard to keep from making mistakes as you get tired.  Luckily for me I ended up riding with one of the Rib Mountain Cycle Riders who was competing in the 3 hr race!  He made that last lap enjoyable and gave me someone to talk to for a bit! Thanks! 

So once done it was time to move onto the barley-hop recovery drink why waiting for awards.  We then finished the evening off with a stop in Marshfield for more recovery drink at the Blue Heron Brew Pub and to start replenishing the 4200 calorie deficit from the race!

No there is just one more race that I currently have planned for the year and it is the last WORS race in Sheboygan.  I can tell that it has been a long season of learning cause there are a lot of aches and pains from the 100 milers.  On a plus note though the mind is still into loving the ride!  Usually this time of year I am ready to hang up my bike and walk away for a bit but I am already thinking about the NUE series next year and how to improve.  Also looking at maybe trying to make a stop on the UCI Marathon series somewhere in Europe.  Right now there is one in the Dolomites of Italy that has my interest?  Hmmm?  Guess I will need to wait and see how the season plan comes together! In the meantime, see everyone at Sheboygan! 

No comments: