Thursday, March 10, 2011

WORS Complaint Department

So once a year the top 5 in both the women and men's categories are given an opportunity, and a stage, to thank those that make it possible for us to race throughout the year.  This year seems to be a bit different though.  This year my bio, and I now know Lisa's, was changed drastically and eliminated our thanks that we feel are important!!  I understand the page restraint and getting everything to fit, but as I see it 10 racers times the $360 all in one and you are getting close to the same amount of support that some of headline sponsors are paying!!  Or if that is not justification enough then give us a word count constraint!! 

This also brings up another complaint.  I am not a fan of when someone makes their problem, my problem.  This year we got a last minute email stating to get our Bio in immediately! If you are going to procrastinate, that is not my fault!  Then this is how it was followed up "Get them to me by Friday at the latest or I'll get creative (just look at what I did to Tom Bender last year!)."  I have no clue what was done to Bender, but sounds more like a threat and not needed. 

So to get my just due and thanks to those that support me, and the Adventure 212 Team, here is what I wrote:

WORS 2010, top 5? What a great group of riders and a fun way to spend the summer. We have a great thing happening in the Midwest and the talent that we get to race against on a bi-weekly basis is awesome! I enjoy being a part of the series as a racer and as a team sponsor.


In 2010 the Adventure 212/Specialized Team had another great year and each individual rider continues to improve. In 2011, much will remain the same. We will still be on the best bike in the business, Specialized! We will also be continuing with great support from the Hostel Shoppe in Stevens Point and Hidden Bay will be supplying all of our clothing. Thank you for building a long term relationship with the team and supplying us with such great products. Our other sponsors also include Crankbrothers, Scrub Components, Optic Nerve, No Tubes, Raw Revolution, and random ice cream shops near the races!!

So that is the team stuff, now a bit about me. 2011 will mark my 14th season racing Mountain Bikes and because of that I plan to mix it up a bit and try new venues. So I am going to pack the bike up and travel the nation in search of some great riding. My first big stop of the season will be the Cohutta 100, where I plan to better my last year finish of 2nd place! Wish me luck! After that my main goal will be a top 3 overall in the NUE 100 series and then the XC Marathon National Championships. I will still plan to attend as many WORS races as possible, but more in the support role for the rest of my teammates.

As for the thanks: Thanks Michelle for letting me continue my hobby, to bossman(Adnan Kadir) for keeping me fast as I ripen, to all the people who cheer us on at the races, and to all my teammates for making each stop memorable with all the fun antics and random blurted out, inappropriate comments! Lisa!

Until go time, follow the team and support crew at: http://team-adventure212.blogspot.com


Once again, Thank You to all our AWESOME Sponsors!!! 

3 comments:

Ryan said...

Bike racing has always been about promotion. It's what makes it work and how the bike industry lives. We ride in sausage skins plastered with advertising at all times. It shouldn't matter who we are thanking, the thanks should not be "edited" because they aren't the the title sponsor. There was no mention of Felt in Tristan's bio. Maybe he left it out on purpose? Lisa didn't but it didn't show up in hers. That can reflect poorly on her and sour our sponsors if we didn't have the great relationship with Specialized that we do.The title sponsor was mentioned in all the bios of all the people riding those bikes. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive. I wonder if the cover photo for the WORS book would've been the overall champ (Tristan) had he been on something made by the title sponsor?

Meghan said...

you're not overly sensitive; those are valid points. in any case you guys are doing a great job. keep it up and good luck this year! come visit Asheville!

-Meghan K.

claire said...

Chris,

It's taken me over a week since first seeing this to think of how to respond. I want you to know this is my personal response, and not endorsed by WORS or Don. I'm sorry if I offended you.

To be honest, when I first saw this I felt incredibly hurt. There are three things that I still can't understand.

First, if you had these concerns, questions and complaints - why didn't you just call or email me?

Second, I can't imagine how you can feel that I (or WORS) have not done enough to promote Adventure 212 / Specialized. I personally have spent hundreds and hundreds of hours interviewing riders, writing race reports, finding photos, editing and posting videos and directing media contacts to your riders. I've done that out of a genuine love for the sport and admiration for the people on your team - people I consider to be my friends.

Third, I can't believe you would think I was singling you out or persecuting you in some way?

If you want to talk about this, you know how to contact me. I hope you will.

Claire