Monday, May 31, 2010

WORS #3

Really missing the creativity this morning as the cloud has settled into my head!  Post race, gotta love it.  Good thing it is so much fun to ride our bikes to make up for it!  Yesterday did not disappoint again.  How crazy to end up in a sprint finish again!  That is not good when you weigh in at 140 pounds and you are going up against someone who has seen about every situation in the book over the years of racing.  Either way, I would take that any day over someone just riding away, thats no fun!  So the race started out interesting.  Darrin went to the front and with me going down in the first corners during preride, I was much more timid taking the turns and Darrin ended up with a bit of a gap, so I just set on the front and let him go. Nathan finally recognized what was going on and came around me and started pulling.  I set on him through the first section of single track till he took a bad line and flatted.  I then took over and felt like I was on the front almost the entire race.  I just controlled the pace and started putting in small digs to test the waters.  I did put in a hard attack on the 3rd lap when I turned around and noticed that I got a gap through a section of singletrack.  I thought I almost had it then burped a tire in section #12.  Suck.  I rode it low fr the rest of the lap and  the start of the 4th before stopping to put air in it.  I ended up back on and Brian and I started fighting it out in some of the singletrack, sorry Brian for the wide elbows but I was cramping a bit and wanted to control the pace.  I then stayed on the front to keep the pace high enough just to keep Brian and Mark'O from wanting to attack and leaving the sprint to Darrin.  When we came out of the singletrack I attacked to try and soften Brian's legs and hopefully help Darrin out.  Also to see if I could get away? Then when we rounded the last corner I went wide to give Darrin the best line and rolled in for 4th while one of the craziest sprints I have seen unfolded in front of me.  When all the dust settled, Brian took the win, with Darrin 2nd, Mark'O 3rd, and myslef 4th. 

For the rest of the team, most were hung up in the wrong turn but still had good races.  Ryan came in for 7th overall, Scott 20th overall, and Todd 19th.  On the girls side, Lisa came in 5th and Michelle for 7th.  I think I remember Mark telling me he rolled in for 6th in his age for the comp class.  Good Racing to everyone!! I twas loads of fun!

Next up?  Scott, Mark, and I are headed to the Mohican 100.  Michelle and Sarah are going down to the Road Race State Championships, and the last I heard the rest of the team is going to take a little break.

Before this weekend though, Michelle and I are about to chamois up for a commute from Amherst down to the Dells to her parents house so that we can hang out on the boat and eat bad food!  Sweet!  Happy Memorial Day!!

No comments: